circular concrete steps

Old 07-04-05, 01:16 PM
BevC
Visiting Guest
Question circular concrete steps

I am planning a new front entrance to my home. Can anyone tell me how to estimate the concrete needed for a semi-circular stairway? I've been out of school waaaaay too long to remember my geometry..

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-05, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
circle steps

Give demensions to your concrete supplier, he will give you the amount, not using a concrete supplier and plan on mixng it yourself, give the demensions to yoiur concrete supplier and he will figure the amount.

Understand?

When you are not smart, there are ways not to appear stupid.

Old 07-04-05, 04:17 PM
BevC
Visiting Guest
I didn't think it was a stupid question. There are a lot of people in this world who take advantage of women, especially in instances like this.
Too bad your mother didn't teach you how to NOT appear rude. By the way, it is D-i-m-e-n-s-i-o-n...understand???

Old 07-04-05, 04:41 PM
Demensions

I was in no way trying to imply that you were stupid, the Understand? part was for you to get the cubic feet from concrete supplier, no matter if you were using there concrete or not.

The stupid part and appearing smart was mentioned, for my abilities not yours. as I have never taken geometry, nor would I be able to.

I am still trying to figure out what a dangling participle is.

I am very sorry that my attempt to help failed so miserably, I did not know that you were a girl, not that there's anything wrong with that.

By the way I'd say by your response to me, that no one has taken advantage
of you, meaning you don't take much guff.

Can we still be friends?

Old 07-05-05, 07:35 PM
The volume of a semi-circular right cylinder would be 1/2 the radius of the circle times itself times the value pi or 3.1415 times the height of the cylinder or the thickness of the step. For example, the radius of the semi-circular step would be half the distance across the step. If the step will be 5 feet wide, the radius will be 2.5 feet. If the step is 7 inches thick, then, ((2.5 * 2.5) * 3.1415 * .583)/2 = 5.7 cubic feet. This is true, if and only if, the step is solid concrete. Generally, a set of steps is filled and only part of it is concrete. Also, there is an allowance for waste as well as a minimum order for concrete.

Hope this helps.