Cutting square in brick siding for Air Con Installation

Old 07-05-05, 04:31 PM
tgrahn
Visiting Guest
Cutting square in brick siding for Air Con Installation

My garage is just too darn hot. I want to install a 'window unit' style air conditioner. Has anyone done this before? My garage is surrounded by brick siding.
Should I just use a circular saw w/ masonry blade and cut a perfect square? or should I try to only cut the 'mortar' and chip out the rest? Or should I approach this another way?

Thanks in advance,
Terrance

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-05, 11:10 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chiseling the mortar in the joints can be risky - you may end up chipping or cracking bricks you want to preserve.

You can use a diamond masonry blade but I don't recommend using an ordinary circular saw. A worm-drive circular saw is really best - especially with brick. If you don't have one, you can rent one. Depending on the thickness of the wall, you may want to rent an actual masonry saw with a blade large enough to cut all the way through the wall. Otherwise you will have to drill pilot holes in the corners, and mark and cut both sides. Either way, you may want to consider surrounding the area with a plastic dust barrier. Also, wear a dust mask rated for the heavy dust the cutting action will produce.

Be sure to make the cut-out size according to the manufacturer's directions. Some guys like to make an over-sized cut-out to accommodate wood framing. Another option is to make a cut-out large enough to handle a window, then mount the AC in the window.

best wishes.

Old 07-06-05, 06:58 AM
tgrahn
Visiting Guest
thanks for the advice!!