Question about foundation for new house

Old 07-07-05, 02:16 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

For anyone who knows:

We are about to start building a house. We are going to contract out for the foundation. The first bid we got back states he will use 3000 PSI concrete with reinforced fiber. He asked us if we wanted the wire mesh in there also? He says that stuff is a pain to work with and most people don't chose to use it any more. Is this true?

Will the foundation be strong without that wire mesh?

John

Old 07-07-05, 06:40 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 870 Upvotes on 761 Posts
The wire is a pain. Most times it gets trampled down and poured over top off. If the wire is not pulled up to the middle of the concrete it is useless. Some codes require use of rebar in footers. I assume like my location it is not required where you are. I would use rebar in the footer. The fiberglass is good but rebar is better. I like using both.

Old 07-07-05, 07:33 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

The 3000 psi concrete is minimal and nothing special. With any decent aggregate and a reasonable amount of cement it is very hard to get less than 3000 psi.

Fiber mesh concrete is very good, but it not equal to concrete with wire mesh. Any good contractor can place concrete with mesh in it. If he can't handle and place the mesh he probably can't place and finish the concrete properly either.

f you are building slab on grade with a thickened edge you should use rebar for the perimeter.

You are going to have your home for a long time, so the extra cost of mesh is minimal in the big picture.

Remember - Codes are the minmum standard, not what should be done. Said another way "You are never wrong if you follow the code, but you may not be right".

For my own driveway, I used 4000 psi, wire mesh and fiber mesh. The extra material cost was less than $200. Spread over 20 to 50 years, thats not much for peace of mind.

Dick

Old 07-11-05, 06:06 PM
Mudball
Visiting Guest
We are getting ready do build a block (basement type) house with a slab floor.
The footer is going to be 4000 psi "steel" fiber mesh poured over rebar.
I was told I wouldn't need the "wire" considering the strength of, and type of concrete we are using combined with the rebar...I hope.
Don't forget about your frost depth.
Good luck.

Old 07-11-05, 06:39 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 870 Upvotes on 761 Posts
Mudball

Rebar is far superior to wire. The good builders I know won't even use wire but on slabs tie rebar together in criss cross [square] pattern. It is stronger and less likely to get knocked down [and not pulled up] and be under the concrete instead of in the middle.

Old 07-11-05, 07:48 PM
J
Hes using rebar in the footings. We hired him so hopefully the foundation holds up.

John

Old 07-12-05, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by JohnnyM76
Hes using rebar in the footings. We hired him so hopefully the foundation holds up.
Well lets put it this way. If the rebar doesn't hold up, the wire would have failed a lot quicker... now isn't that a nice thought?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: