Help with Concrete - I'm repairing my flagstone patio - what to use?

Old 07-11-05, 03:57 AM
chiefobrien
Visiting Guest
Help with Concrete - I'm repairing my flagstone patio - what to use?

I posted this in Patios, but thought it was better here, so I'm double-posting.

I moved into a house with a patio made of flat flagstones that have concrete "grout" between them. It was greenish-black, but I recently pressure washed it and the stones are clean and the concrete is now white to off white (light beige). As I pressure washed, some of the concrete came off (as was expected because there were areas of missing concrete where it had cracked and popped out). Probably from water or general deterioation--needless to say, it needs patching.

So I want to mix up some concrete and fill in the spaces between the flagstones. I bought some Quickrete topping sand/concrete mix at the Depot. Will this match the color of the concrete there? Is there something better to be using? Some people mentioned mixing the Quickrete with sand or with lime. I've also heard I should be using Quickrete Masonry Mix instead. Both indicate they are good for flagstone pathways. Help!

Also, should I mix it up and spread it in with a pointing trowel, or put the dry powder in the cracks and spray it down with water?

Old 07-17-05, 06:12 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi,
You've probably already finished your project, just in case
I have done both 'conventional" mortar grout and dry mortar grout (dumping and spraying water over it), and by far would recommend NOT doing dry for a permanent formal project. You will need to replace it yearly if your area freezes, and it corrodes much faster than spending the extra time mixing and grouting.

As far as the color, unless you know what brand was used prior its a crap shoot. Try going with the closest home improvement center as most people don't travel far with heavy gas hogging loads. best of luck....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: