Need to seal hairline cracks in stucco

Old 07-12-05, 07:20 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a stucco house with a few hairlines cracks (< 1/8") that let water in when it rains. The cracks are so narrow, they're barely noticeable until wet.

I had the house painted a few months ago (sprayed and back-rolled), but it must not have sealed these small cracks. Is there a product I can spray or roll on that will seal these cracks and repaint? Or, is it best to caulk them? I My neighbors with stucco have caulked small cracks, but the finished work is noticeable.

Old 07-12-05, 09:17 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Do you really need to seal them or do you just want to?

Keep in mind that stucco is like vinyl siding and brick veneer. It is not really your prime barrier against the weather, but is an outer coating. This is the reason there is so much emphasis on flashing and the water shedding philosophy. Your stucco should have drains at the bottom just as there are weeps on a brick wall. The only saving grace with vinyl is that it is so loose and flimsy it does not need any drainage openings.

I would caulk the crcks only if they were unattractive or let is a large amount of water directly.

Dick

Old 07-12-05, 09:33 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info -- this crack is small, but lets in a large amount of water in driving rain. The crack must run through all three coats of stucco. It actually looks like a network of cracks.

Had to pull up the carpet in my basement after a large rain storm this weekend after Dennis. I can spray water at the crack and it runs out from below the sill plate in about 45 seconds. The basement was dry until about a year ago -- house must have settled a bit. Emily is out there and I want to get everything sealed up just in case...

Old 07-12-05, 12:24 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 876 Upvotes on 767 Posts
Elastromeric paint should take care of your problem. It is made to seal and fill small cracks. Large ones should be patched or caulked. To make caulking less noticable either wipe off the excess with a damp rag or take a putty knife and try to simulate the stucco finish. If it has a sand finish [texture] use a sponge to simulate the stucco.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: