No more leaky basement

Old 07-12-05, 09:20 PM
Michelelf
Visiting Guest
No more leaky basement

Thanks for all the advice about how to correct my leaky basement. My sister and I, and our teenage sons, spent Sunday afternoon and evening busting up the concrete behind my house so we could get to the drainage system. I replaced a damaged downspout and replaced the underground piping (it had crumbled and become clogged through the years). We have been getting a lot of rain since Sunday because of the hurricanes and my basement is no longer flooding. When we have a dry day, we will finish burying the drainage system. I am amazed that though it was hard work (breaking up the concrete with an 8 lb sledge hammer and hauling off the concrete); it was easy. I thank God it worked.

My question now is: Do I need to seal the inside of the basement walls with some sort of sealer? I would like to paint it so it would be more inviting. My laundry is down there, and I would like to make part of it a hang-out (weights, tv, etc.) for my teenage son.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Michele

Last edited by Michelelf; 07-12-05 at 10:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-13-05, 06:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
Glad you where able to correct your drainage problems. Block or concrete needs to be sealed before it can accept a finish coat of paint. The 2 primers of choice would be block fill or drylok. Since drylok has water sealing properties I would use it. It only cost a little more and I would rather have more protection than I need than to have less and maybe need it later. 2 coats of drylok will leave the walls a bright white, some leave it like that although IMO topcoating with a finsh paint looks better.

Old 07-14-05, 10:18 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would recommend waiting to be sure that you have solved the problem with the moisture before doing anything to the interior of the wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: