Attaching a Deck to Cinder Block

Old 07-14-05, 06:42 AM
coolwhipt
Visiting Guest
Question Attaching a Deck to Cinder Block House??

I have a Cinder Block House and I would like to build a deck off the back. The Deck will be 10 feet off the ground, so I need very good support. How do I attach the deck to the Cinder Block? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by coolwhipt; 07-14-05 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Add to title
Old 07-14-05, 08:19 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Although it is not necessary to attach a deck to a house, you would mount a ledger board to the concrete block wall with 1/2 inch lag screws in lead anchors, if approved by your local code.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-15-05, 05:33 AM
coolwhipt
Visiting Guest
I need to attach deck to cinder block house.

Thanks for your message. The deck will be 8-10 feet off the ground so I think it would be best to attach it to the house for extra stability. I guess I need to learn about lag bolts and lead anchors too.

Old 07-16-05, 09:52 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lag screws and bolts and the lead anchors are products commonly sold at home centers and hardware stores. Using a hammer drill is the easiest way to bore the hole for the fasteners. You can rent a hammer drill and bit from most tool rental shops. After drilling the holes in the ledger board, position it on the wall, and mark the location of the holes for the anchors. Drill the holes and set the lead anchors into the holes. Position the ledger board and install the lag screw and washers. Before pullling the board snug to the wall, install the drip edge and its caulking.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-20-05, 11:05 AM
coolwhipt
Visiting Guest
Attaching a Deck to Cinder Block House??

Thank You Very Much. This will also help me choose a contractor to build it if I choose to pay to have it built. When you mention 'drip edge', you mean a little space (maybe a few washers) between the ledger board and the house? Where is caulking needed if the ledger does not touch house? Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: