Sealing a basement window

Old 07-22-05, 09:52 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi:
We have a 70+ year old home. The basement has a window well in an area over which that we want to place a paver patio. Since we'll need to fill in the window well, I'm sure I'll have to remove the existing glass-block window. (I doubt those things are rated to with stand pressure.)

My question is: what size concrete block should I use to fill in the window opening? 8 x 8 or can I use something smaller like a 4 x 8?

Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks!

Old 07-22-05, 03:36 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Use a normal hollow concrete block the same thickness as your basement wall (usually 8", 10" or 12").

Height and length to fit the opening. don't be afraid to use a concrete brick (2 1/4 x 3 5/8 x 7 5/8) or any other soild size needed to fill.

You really don't have any pressure on the wall, but using a block the same thickness as the wall makes finishing easier.

Dick

Old 04-21-06, 07:50 AM
Z
Do I need rebars?

I'm planning to do the same. I need to seal a basement window for a raised patio.

After the glass window is removed, do I need to add rebars to the concrete blocks? Do I just use quickcrete to tie everything together?

Also, instead of having the raised patio resting on the side of the house, I'm planning to put up a conrete wall in between so the pressure will be against the concrete wall instead of the house. Is this a good plan? If so, do I still need to seal that basement window?

Thanks!!!

Last edited by zosim; 04-21-06 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-21-06, 05:23 PM
M
Hey:
First off, I'm in no position to answer a "should I" question. I'm a weekend hack who: 1. doesn't have a whole lot of money and 2. likes to do the work myself.

That out of the way, here's what I did. Knocked out old windows, spread a 1" layer of mortar to make an even bed, and put in 8"X16" block. I used a circular saw with a concrete blade to cut some blocks to size (and really tick-off my neighbors with all of the dust). After a couple of weeks, I layed on a thick cover of the water-proofing liquid tar. That's it.

I'm not sure if it was this forum or someplace else, but someone responded that I need not worry about ground pressure against the new block. Certainly blocking in a window does nothing to support the downward pressure of the house, since the window header takes care of this.

I hope this helps.

Old 04-21-06, 08:49 PM

mchrist -

You did was necessary and you have structural problems to worry about. The window was only a hole in the wall that you had to fill.

congrats!!

Dick

Old 04-22-06, 04:30 AM
M
Sorry, but do I misunderstand? "you have structural problems to worry about" Is this true?
Thanks.

Old 04-22-06, 06:44 AM

Sorry, I meant to say you have NO structural problems.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: