Driveway woes

Old 07-22-05, 09:47 PM
ritterpa
Visiting Guest
Question Driveway woes

Just bought a house and the driveway is more grass than gravel. I want to dig it out a few inches below grade and start anew with sand and gravel. But that's easier said than done.

I've thought of contracting it out but am wondering if you all, with your wealth of knowledge, have any suggestions? I have a pick-up truck but no plow blade. I was wondering if there is something I could drag behind it that might do the trick?

Old 07-26-05, 07:39 PM
ritterpa
Visiting Guest
Anyone out there have advice on this?

Old 07-26-05, 07:48 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Driveway woes

That is a lot of digging and material to move. Are you sure the grass is the problems? You may have decent soil under it. Dig several holes to see what you have. The previous owner may have had a stable driveway and just let the grass take over for a year or two. If this is the case you only need Roundup or agent orange (ha!). This may only need a load of crushed rock or gravel to dress the surface.

If it is bad, you will have to take out up to 6 to 8" and replace with good base material (whatever it is called locally).

This would require more than you pick-up.

Dick

Old 07-26-05, 10:01 PM
ritterpa
Visiting Guest
I figure I could just kill the grass and then add more gravel, but I'm afraid that without digging it out and putting sand down, the grass will just keep returning.

There's a good chance I'll just pave the thing. It'll probably help resale enough that it would be worth it for that and for the convenience.

Old 07-27-05, 05:29 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The grass will likely return, but RoundUp is cheap.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: