Foam Injection Advice / Info

Old 07-23-05, 10:54 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Foam Injection Advice / Info

I live in Tucson, Az and came across posts on the web that refer to foam injection into slump block walls. Unfortunately, I can't locate anything about the companies that do that, price, etc. Does anyone have any advice or contact info? Is it worth it for cooling/heating? What about putting in drywall inside with insulation? Is that more cost effective?

Best regards,
Aaron R>

Old 07-24-05, 06:27 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Foam Injection Advice / Info

Foam has been used in masonry walls.

I have been involved in insulating block walls and testing.

The older urea-formaldehyde foams suffered from lack of uniformity and shrinkage. I saw walls where the foam had shrunck and left a gap of almost a quarter of an inch. This made the insulation act like a baffle and doing as much good as foam on the back of vinyl siding. It also wasn't too good for people, but since it was in the wall, that was not an issue.

You can also insulate a block wall with some of the newer foams. It used frequently, especially the some of the "big box" stores with 12" walls. I have not studied the newer foams in detail, so i am not qualified to offer much. Just read the data and not the ads. Most of the ads use parallel heat flow calculations, so I be careful of the claims.

You can also insulate a slump block wall with insulation and drywall. Even though you add to the R-value (static conditions), you will lose some of the benefits of mass (normal or dynamic conditions). The mass contribution depends on the climate of the area. In your area(Tucson), you get a lot of mass benefit beyond the statci R-value. That is the reason a lot of masonry homes have been built in your climate.

If there are few people foaming in your area there must be a reason since it is not anything new.

Dick

Old 10-10-05, 10:28 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I likewise have a slump block house in Tucson. Saw a company called Thermal Advantage at the Home Show that does foam injection and he gave us an estimate. The business is located in Phoenix but they are also doing work down here. They started business in 1999 and have no complaints with the BBB in 3 years.

I'd like to know if you found any other info? I'd like to do a little more comparison shopping before I make a decision.

(I had blown in celulose insulation done to a wood frame stuccoed house in Calif and was extremely pleased with it--cooler, quieter and cleaner.)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: