concrete roof for barbecue/smoker

Old 07-24-05, 11:20 AM
wblackwell8
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up concrete roof for barbecue/smoker

I have built an outdoor barbecue grill/smoker combo of concrete blocks & mortar. The doors are steel plate and the roof over the smoker is 16 ga. steel which is unsatisfactory because my cutting and welding warped the thin sheet metal---even the 4 inch exhaust pipe is tilted. I'm thinking of removing it and setting up inside angle irons mounted on the interior 4 surfaces on which I would place a piece of concrete board, lattice with rebar, and pour a concrete roof of +/- 2-3 inches appropriately shaped in a shallow pyramid to shed water. The maximum working temperature I would be using over this smoking chamber is about 250 degrees F. The 4 inch smoke stack would have a steel flashing plate welded around the pipe and this would be welded to the supporting rebar structure and embedded in the poured concrete.

My concerns: Would 8-10 hours exposure to this temperature cause problems with the concrete roof? I would paint such a roof with masonry primer and latex paint to help shed rain and dew.

Old 07-24-05, 11:24 AM
wblackwell8
Visiting Guest
[QUOTE=wblackwell8]I have built an outdoor barbecue grill/smoker combo of concrete blocks & mortar. The doors are steel plate and the roof over the smoker is 16 ga. steel which is unsatisfactory because my cutting and welding warped the thin sheet metal---even the 4 inch exhaust pipe is tilted. I'm thinking of removing it and setting up inside angle irons mounted on the interior 4 surfaces on which I would place a piece of concrete board, lattice with rebar, and pour a concrete roof of +/- 2-3 inches appropriately shaped in a shallow pyramid to shed water. The maximum working temperature I would be using over this smoking chamber is about 250 degrees F. The 4 inch smoke stack would have a steel flashing plate welded around the pipe and this would be welded to the supporting rebar structure and embedded in the poured concrete.

My concerns: Would 8-10 hours exposure to this temperature cause problems with the concrete roof? I would paint such a roof with masonry primer and latex paint to help shed rain and dew.

Old 07-24-05, 11:32 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
concrete roof for barbecue/smoker

You can buy a special heat-resistant type of cement to use in making the concrete if you are worried. You will have to look for it.

Several cement companies manufacture this type of cement. Lafarge is one and I think that one of the Holcom companies make it. On a Google search look for terms like fondue, lumnite, alumina (spelling?). Or look for heat or fire resistant concrete or cement.

It is somewhat specialized and each company makes several types for different conditions. It is probably 50% to 100% over normal cement, but for the one bag you need its no big deal.

Dick

Old 07-24-05, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
What are the dimensions that this concrete roof will cover?
I don't think you will get paint to stay at the temps you will be operating at unless the roof is insulated.
If this was going to be a poured roof, a question I have that maybe Dick can answer is can one effectively add air entrainment to hand mixed concrete.

I've been searching for an appropriate cabinet (other than a refrigerator) to make a smoker with electric temperature control.
Never thought about making one out of blocks.

Got a pic of your bbq's progress?

Old 07-24-05, 04:27 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Greg, best smokehouse i know of here is in a wooden building... You should see the roof beams, they are literally dripping with smoke/moisture/etc from all the years of use.

Old 07-24-05, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Ya, if only I can convince my wife to convert her garden shed into a smoke house.

Old 07-25-05, 03:54 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tell her the smoke will keep the bugs off the plants..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: