Wood or no wood ?

Old 07-27-05, 05:37 PM
Mudball
Visiting Guest
Wood or no wood ?

We are building a concrete block house. Any particular reason we cant just have the windows and door sized to a replacement window rough opening size and then install window and attach straight to concrete block then caulk ?
Treated lumber is better than regular kiln dried but eventually will have to be replaced if not properly dried, treated and then wrapped.
It seems to be a good idea to install vinyl replacement windows directly to the block and then seal.
Thanks

Old 07-27-05, 06:25 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wood or no wood ?

On my concrete block home I built the bucks out of 2x, set them in place and used them as a support for the bond beam/lintel over the windows and 6' sliders. The block wall was built to the bucks and they were left in place.

In my case, outside the 8" block, I had a cavity with 2" extruded polystyrene, 3/8" air and 4" brick on the outside. I used 2x10s for the bucks in a 8" wall, letting them stick out 2" so I could nail the window flanges to them. In my case, it was a no-brainer to go this way. If I didn't have the extra foam and brick, I don't know if I would have left the bucks in place.

Since I had to have bucks, why not use them instead of pulling them out and finding another use for them? A lot will depend on what you want your window detail and trim to look like.

Next time I do it I will use 6" block walls which would have made many things easier.

Dick

Old 07-28-05, 05:43 PM
Mudball
Visiting Guest
Thanks Concretemasonry.
I will be using the pressure treated buck for all the windows.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: