Ideas on how to use these bricks?

Old 07-31-05, 06:29 AM
allenb
Visiting Guest
Need Ideas on what to do with all these bricks

I have quite a bit of bricks left from when the contractors underpinned my home.Is there a website somewhere that can give me some ideas on projects that I can use them on?Thanks

Old 07-31-05, 11:14 PM
peterjoa
Visiting Guest
Red face ideas from a girl

Originally Posted by allenb
I have quite a bit of bricks left from when the contractors underpinned my home.Is there a website somewhere that can give me some ideas on projects that I can use them on?Thanks
Allen,

Just some ideas

a mail box with plantars on either side (we have one so the idea is far from original)

Use them to create flower beds. (ok we have this too)

Build a barbeque pit (don't have one of these yet, but my husband is always talking about it)

When we lived in Virginia he made a cool burn pit with bricks. My teenager used it, to have bonfires for her friends. (warning about teenagers and fire pits, if you throw in a can of unopened beans, it will shoot the top off and create a big mess)

you could use them to create a path in the yard.

make a place to store your firewood.

create brick pillars at the end of your driveway on either side. I really think those look quite nice. I also like when you see brick pillars that are part of a fence.

Just some suggestions,

Jo Ann

Old 08-01-05, 08:43 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Depending upon how severe your weather is will determine the extent of the use of leftover construction bricks in your landscape. Most tend to recommend saving a few leftover brick in the corner of the garage just in there is a need to replace a brick in the future.

Severe Weather rated brick (pavers) will withstand severe weathering such as freezing, thawing, or rain-and-freeze conditions. These are the most expensive grade of common brick.

Mild Weather rated brick withstands modest weathering, including some rain and freezing, but cannot be used in areas of severe weathering.

No Weather rated brick can be used in mild climates where there is no danger from freezing or frost. They are also suitable for frost areas, but only if the bricks are protected from rain or moisture.

In most parts of the country Severe Weather brick is recommended for outdoor projects such as: Patio - Barbecue - Retaining Wall - Mortarless Paving - Screen - Sandbox - Lawn Edging and Stepping Stones - Planter - Pedestal - Steps.

Old 08-03-05, 12:17 PM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
most folks around here brick thier mail boxes with left over bricks.

Old 08-03-05, 05:59 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
They make really nice raised bed planters. Good luck.

Old 08-10-05, 09:31 AM
dmphillips
Visiting Guest
Use for bricks

Just a note, house bricks are not meant to get wet on all sides. I was told that it is not recommended to use them for paths in the lawn because all of the sides would get wet and they would crumble and be a mess.

Old 08-10-05, 12:13 PM
A
I'm a little confused on the types of bricks.

On the Mcnear website they list the following:

Clay Bricks - appear to be rated for structural applications. Shapes called out as brick and paver, repress paver, true paver etc.

Clay pavers - primarily for sand base although apparantly they can be mortared for wall apps.

Is the main difference the stress rating or is it appearance?

Edit in - found this

http://www.msbuilder.com/diy/dw108.shtml

Apparantly clay pavers should not be mortared unless manufacturer allows it.

Last edited by AlexH; 08-10-05 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-10-05, 12:59 PM

There are a number of different kinds of brick. They can be broken down into two major categories depending what they are made from. The two categories would be clay brick and concrete brick.

Clay brick are common on older buildings in the U.S. They have a wide range of durability depending on the clay used and the method of firing or burning. Some of the "soft" brick have high absorption and do not do well as pavers. Some of the hard brick have an internal structure that also does not hold up well in contact with soil. There are many types of clay brick that are well suited to gound applications. The specifications for clay brick frequently refer to suitable for "severe weathering", but this is meant for use on a vertical surface. If the brick were used to build an older home, they are probably clay brick.

Concrete brick are made from different material using a different process. They are closely related to concrete block. Newer concrete brick are difficult to separate from clay brick when installed in a wall. Concrete brick offer a wider range of sizes, colors and textures than clay brick. Some brick manufacturers, especially those with international connections, are building concrete brick plants to replace the inefficient old clay brick plants. The closest product to modern concrete brick are the high strength concrete pavers commonly used for driveways, roads, airports and shipping unloading areas.

For your situation, most any brick would be suitable for vertical applicatons. Softer clay brick should be avoided for walkways unless there is an over-riding aesthetic reason and some cracking can be tolerated. The minimal quality concrete brick can be used for walkways, but I would not build a road out of them unless, I knew the quality.

Dick

Old 08-10-05, 01:15 PM
A
Thanks CM,

So what would you use to build a mortared brick walkway (concrete footing and mortar grout and asumming cost not a concern).

Reason I ask is that I bought some "common" bricks and them seem quite soft.

Last edited by AlexH; 08-10-05 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-10-05, 01:59 PM

Personally, I wouldn't build a mortared brick walkway on a concrete slab. I think a concrete paver or brick surface without mortar, but with edge restraint on a well compacted base is superior, especially in cold climates.

If you want the look of the mortared brick, I would buy some brick that are rated or made for that kind of exposure in your climate. I wouldn't go throught the trouble and cost of a slab and then use a questionable brick just because it is available. "Chicago commons" is a term for soft brick that is attractive, readily available, but has a poor history when used as a paver.

Just my opinion-

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: