stucco for siding? Lost !

Old 08-01-05, 04:10 PM
suprcashier
Visiting Guest
Exclamation stucco for siding? Lost !

Hello,
I'm new to this forum and I have some questions that I hope someone could help me with. I just recently purchased and older home that has exsiting shingle siding and was wondering if its possible to insulate the outside with exterior wall foam walls and then coating the surface with stucco? If this is possible could this be done over the exsiting shingle siding? AND if the stucco siding would work is it hard to maintain? I have so much to learn!!!! Help!

I am a first time home owner and would like to do as much as I can myself and keep costs low. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Please feel free to email if you think you can help!

Thanks!
Maggie

Old 08-01-05, 06:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 870 Upvotes on 761 Posts
Welcome to the forum Maggie

Yes the walls can be covered with stucco. I doubt foam by itself would be strong enough to support stucco with out cracking. Although anyone can make a stucco repair with out a lot of experince I would not attempt a whole house with out experience. It would be a good idea to consult a pro and then figure out what you could do yourself [to save cost] and what would be best left for the pros to do. Painting is basically the only up keep to a stucco home. Some use 'drivet' a colored finish stucco which doesn't need painting. Hope you enjoy your new [to you] home

Old 08-01-05, 07:06 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
stucco for siding? Lost !

Personally, I would remove the existing siding before attempting some exterior insulation system. You will get a much better wall with fewer problems at doors and windows.

Dryvit looks attractive, but it has a questionable track record on wood frame walls. The key is to have a professional contractor that is also experienced with it. Due to its nature it is not a DIY product except for the daring. Its use is limited in some areas and not allowed over wood frame in other juristictions.

The key to all stucco performance is the flashing and installation of the windows and doors. Standard 3 coat stuccos and the modified 2 coat systems are very forgiving. Sythetic systems are not.

If you can remove the exterior siding before insulating you should be able to get a better job.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: