Need to Cover Post Tension Rod Ends in foundation

Old 08-05-05, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need to Cover Post Tension Rod Ends in foundation

We're purchasing a home that was built in 1979. I don't know if the post tension rod ends were ever covered up. There is some rusting, but honestly not as much for the home's age.

How do we cover these up?

Thank you!
Eileen

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-05, 10:03 PM
if they are in a cup dimple in the slab, just mix of some cement and sand and slap on it.

Old 08-07-05, 12:02 AM
Please educate me... What's a cup dimple?

If you look at the foundation of our house, there are holes all along parallel to the ground that show the post tension rods. Is that a cup dimple?

Old 08-18-05, 07:37 AM
Mnuvsteel
Visiting Guest
Just fill with more grout

Before the cement is poured, the rodmen place their rebar and cables that will be post tensioned. When these cables are installed they are anchored to the forms on one end and on the other end we slide a plastic thing over the cable that looks a little like a trumpet. In fact they are called trumpets and they are mounted on the inside of the forms so that after the cement is poured and the concrete cures and the forms are stripped, pockets are left in the slab. these pockets have the cable running through the center of them. The pockets enable the rodmen to use a hydraulic ram to pull massive ammounts of tension on the tendon and push in the anchoring wedges that hold the tension for hopefully a long time . anyway the general contractor should have had someone mix up some cement and sand (grout) to fill in the pocket.
Apparently your grout fell out of pocket somehow so all you have to do is buy some or make yur own and shove it in the hole and smooth it with a trowel.

Old 07-21-11, 04:25 PM
Walking around my house, I noticed one post tension rod coming out of slab for a length of about 5 feet in flower bed. There is a black cap where it is coming out slab. Is this something builder missed out. I am 3rd or 4th owner of my home and home inspection did not note this. If it is something I should cut off and slap some cement I can do it, but if there is a purpose to it I want to know what it is.