removing paint painted on brick surface

Old 08-06-05, 03:35 PM
xagna
Visiting Guest
removing paint painted on brick surface

My house is about 50 years old. Front side is brick. Previous owners painted white paint on this brick wall.
I have no problem removing newer layer of paint but underneath this newer layer is older layer which was applied very thin right on top of the brick surface.

I have been watering the bring wall and dried it so that thick layer of newer paint cracked and was able to scratch it off the wall . But this older thin layer is impossible to scratch on top of the brick.

Im thinking about using a power washer. Will power washer do the job on a thin layer of paint applied on the posporous brick?

Old 08-07-05, 10:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 871 Upvotes on 762 Posts
The remaining paint is probably a primer that soaked/bonded into the brick. A pressure washer might help - be careful not damage the mortar.

Old 08-08-05, 02:58 PM
xagna
Visiting Guest
What color is primer usually?
This layer that I am talking about is yellowish white. Should I just paint over this layer?

Old 08-08-05, 06:38 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Primers can be white or tinted. As long as the surface is clean and free of chaulk you should be good to go. If chaulk is a problem 'emulsa bond' is a good additive for latex paint.

Old 08-10-05, 05:36 PM
xagna
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by marksr
Primers can be white or tinted. As long as the surface is clean and free of chaulk you should be good to go. If chaulk is a problem 'emulsa bond' is a good additive for latex paint.
Thanks for the advice. So you are saying that I don't have to get the bottom layer off the bricks to paint the wall again?

I don't understand how chaulk would be a problem in this case.

Old 08-10-05, 06:22 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Sometimes when paint deteriates it gets chaulky/dusty not a good surface for paint to adhere to. As long as the paint is bonded well to the surface [sounds like yours is] and the surface is clean it should paint well.

Old 08-12-05, 09:02 PM
The Tuckpointer
Visiting Guest
Get a product call Back to Nature paint stripper, it is very safe to work with and will remove multi layers of paint. It is the best stuff I have used.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: