what are responsibilites of company pouring my basement walls?

Old 08-11-05, 03:36 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

I am just wondering when a home is going to be built, who does all the survery/layout work for the house. For example, for the foundation walls(basement), does a survey 'company' do the layout work as to exactly where the basement walls will sit or does the company pouring the concrete walls do this?

Ron

Old 08-11-05, 07:33 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

A lot depends on who the general contractor is.

If you hire a builder, it is his responsibility to put the house in the correct place at the proper elevation. If the home is on his lot, he has all the legal descriptions and it totally responsible. If it is on your lot, you must provide him the the legal description and location relative to the property lines or corners. If you are having it built on property you will not own until the closing and he does not own, then it gets a little more complicated.

If you you are the general contractor building on your lot, you will have to provide information to the subcontractors on where the home is to be located, how it will be situated and what the elevation is. You can hire someone like a surveyor to do this using the legal description you provide. The responsibility between the subs depend on what amount of supervision you agree to provide as a GC, but you are ultimately responsible.

The excavator will use the information to dig the hole. Since the hole is usually oversized, the real critical item is the elevation of the bottom of the hole so you place the footings on undisturbed soil.

This information will also have to be provided to the concrete contractor. Using this information, he will determine the layout and elevation of the footings based on the plans you provide. After the footings are poured he will determine the location the location of the footings on the walls. All of this is usually done by setting batter boards to determine the key corners or points. The contractor then has the responsibility of setting the forms and pouring the walls to the proper elevation.

Now comes one of the critical items and the reason you may ask the question. There is often a conflict between the concrete contractor and the carpentry or framing contractor regarding the squareness of the basement and how level it is. Forms have the habit of shifting during a pour and square corners do not always remain square.

This is just a general description and there could be many variations depending on local practices or the way the contracts are written.

Because you are obviously concerned about responsibility, make sure your contractors are licensed, insured and bonded. If they are not and there is an error you may be right, but you will not win anything.

It is not easy to be the GC and you incur a lot of coordination, problems and responsibilities in areas you have never been in before.

I hope this is close to what you are looking for.

Dick

Old 08-12-05, 04:51 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thats exactly what I was looking for, thank you. To give you a better view, I am building a home on property I own. And when I say I'm building it, I mean myself and friends and family. Only having a few contractors come in. I was even going to pour the walls myself but I waited to late in the year and there is no way I could do this and get the home weather tight before it gets too cold(live in Michigan). The reason I asked the question is that when we built my brothers house a few years back the concrete company he hired did there own survey/layout. My bro told them how far off the road and where the elevation was and they took it from there. The concrete company I'm going with told me basically that when they show up to excavate, the house should be layed out, and squared up with the road, etc. Now that I really think about it this does make more sense to me.

Thanks,

Ron

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: