Removing Brick from Concrete

Old 08-18-05, 06:10 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Removing Brick from Concrete

This is an inside issue, but I think it fits this category best. I am purchasing a house where a DIYer did some work that's not really up to par. In the basement he built a brick platform so he could to sit a woodburning stove on it. It's one layer of brick that has some sort of mortar that covers about a 4x4 space. It's attached to the concrete basement floor. The brick also runs up the concrete basement wall. There is some "finishing" work that's designed around this.

I plan an overhaul in the basement and the first thing I need to do is to get rid of this woodburning stove. Any thoughts on how to remove the brick from the concrete without damaging the concrete? I need to be able to lay carpet over the area without feeling and holes or bumps. I am a little less concerned about bumps of mortar left on the wall because I can hide it with drywall, but I also don't want to make any gouges in the concrete, because I don't want to encourage leaks.

Old 08-18-05, 07:31 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Removing Brick from Concrete

Just start at one corner with a hammer and masonry chisel to remove a few brick. Hopefully they will come off easily if you work on units that have two or three side exposed.

This will give you a good idea of what was done to attach and/or prep the surface.

How well the brick are attached will depend on the surface preparation, whether a bonding agent was used and what type of mortar. I don't expect you will find any steel since masons like to depend on the mortar bond.

Good luck

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: