house levelling part basement

Old 08-22-05, 04:52 PM
posum2
Visiting Guest

hi, would anyone have hints on how to level an old house that has a part basement, i can't decide where to start and how to do it! thx

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-05, 06:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Best left to a profesional unless you have some experience with a similar project. Especially true if it only has a part basement and limited access to the remainder.

Dick

Old 08-23-05, 09:17 AM
posum2
Visiting Guest
ok, thanks for the advice.
I would still like to understand the process if possible so I can learn a bit, I did find a company that may help. thanks, kevin

Old 06-05-08, 05:32 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by posum2 View Post
hi, would anyone have hints on how to level an old house that has a part basement, i can't decide where to start and how to do it! thx
1) Find the structure corners or surfaces capable of being lifted.

2) Beneath those, dig down to undisturbed soil, at least 24 inches or more (even more if space has been used as an ash dump or the like)

3) Lay out levels of steel rebar in these holes.

4) Pour adequate amounts of high strength concrete (cheap stuff if you're not in a hurry)

5) Allow to set for at least a week for the concrete to harden in a damp basement

6) Place jacks and safety stands.

7) Start lifting at the LOWEST point, taking it to the level of the next lowest point.

8) Continue to lift each jack until you have reached the high point.

9) Carefully measure out and replace each safety stand with heavy treated timbers. I usually use 6x6, or double them up. Grain goes up/down.

10) remove Jacks -- DONE. Now go replace your plaster and trim your doors.

This answer has probably brought forth many other questions dealing with each step. Levelling a house is probably the biggest accumulation if crafts there is. There's a bit of archeology, a lot of structural engineering, A great deal of Geology, not to mention the working skills to get the job done.