Bricks under wood siding

Old 08-25-05, 12:05 PM
inafix
Visiting Guest
Bricks under wood siding

Hi,
We just removed a couple pieces of wood siding from our 100 year old house and found that the space between the posts and beams of the frame of the house is filled with brick! Is this what they used for insulation 100 years ago? Is it good insulation? I can't imagine taking off all the siding and removing the brick, so I hope this is not something that has to be done. Please let me know if you understand why this was done in the first place, and what it means for us now.

Thanks

Old 08-25-05, 01:16 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Bricks under wood siding

Sounds like a house built with a European influence. THis masonry walls are were and are common. Many Europeans, Russians do want a massive wall for comfort and security. Solid 20" masonry walls are common instead of using lighter materials. A few years ago, I saw a development of 4,000 to 7,000 sf houses in Russia with solid masonry walls.

The system provides insulation benefits in terms of thermal inertia (something Owens Corning does not like to be mentioned). In addidtion to decreasing infiltration, the mass provides a usable R value plus the thermal storage. Thermal heat storage is often used in passive solar homes.

If you have post and beam construction, you can leave the brick in place and insulate over the brick infill. This would depend on the condition of the structure and whether you were in a seismic area.

If you have a choice, the insulation purists like to see the insulation outside the mass.

Your construction is rare in the U.S., but common in other countries that are concerned with dynamic insulation rather than the static insulation frovided by light walls.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: