House corner "floating"

Old 08-31-05, 06:49 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
House corner "floating"

Our house is a 1976 bi-level (raised ranch) with a 2 car attached garage. It was the model for the subdivision (and after seeing some of the original paint, I'm surprised they sold any) and is the second one on the street. There's a slight grade (<1%) from our house up to the end of the street with a swale in the middle of the backyard. It faces east on a north / south street. Here's the problem.
The southeast corner of the housing seems to be "floating". Looking at the top left gap of the front door, you see the door jamb moves by up to a quarter inch. There must be a connection to how wet the ground is because after a drought, the door won't latch properly but after Katrina came through everything is just fine. This has resulted in numerous cracks in the lower level exterior walls. We redid the lower shower about a year ago and the tiles are cracking as is the grout.
What can be done to get the house to stop floating?

Old 08-31-05, 07:03 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
House corner "floating"

What part of the country are you in?

What type of soil is common in the neighborhood?

Are the cracks in the exterior wall vertical and what side of the house are they?

Is the door jamb movement related to humidity at the time or is it related to the soil moisture?

Judging by your decription and the cracked tile, you may have a structural problem.

If you have numerous or any large cracks in the sheet rock, I would have a engineer look at the cracks. While he is there, explain how the house moves.

More information would help.

Dick

Old 09-05-05, 01:51 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The cracks are on the SE corner of the house and run horizontally. The front door is an insulated steel door in a wood frame. On the latch side you can see the gap at the top move by upwards of a quarter inch.
The ground is a primarily a heavy clay. Believe me, trying to plant anything deeper then a foot requires a pick-ax and a spud bar to break up the soil. We live in SW Ohio about a half mile from the Little Miami River, on top of one of the surrounding hills. The cracks appear to be mostly at the joints, not in the rock itself. The lower bathroom was set with acrylic mud I believe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: