silicon

Old 09-01-05, 11:42 AM
noto64
Visiting Guest
silicon

When a company waterproofed my house, they put clear silicon on the outside of my basement windows, on the house, which is made of red brick. I took them off for new windows, and now the silicon wont come off. I tried scraping(takes for ever), heating with a torch, and just plain peeling. Any suggestions?

Old 09-01-05, 08:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,940 Upvotes on 1,742 Posts
Silicone is the worst thing to get off. I use a glazing knife (an extra thick putty knife, but with a sharp edge like a chisel... usually hangs with the putty knifes and painting supplies in stores). Using the glazing knife like a chisel, tapping it with a hammer usually gets the silicone off, but you have to give it muscle, keeping the glazing knife tight against the brick as you strike it with the hammer. It will want to bounce on the silicone like a rubber band.

You can also try a razor blade scraper (like what you might clean stickers off of glass with.) But you'll go through a lot of blades. You'll never get all the residue off completely, unless you have room to go over it with an electric drill and wire brush wheel after you get the majority off by chiselling and scraping.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: