Hole through block for gas line

Old 09-12-05, 09:36 PM
ScottWy
Visiting Guest
Question Hole through block for gas line

I am trying to run 1/2 inch galvanized pipe through a block foundation for a BBQ gas grill. A friend of mine told me that I need to make a PVC sleeve for the pipe to go through in the block to prevent damage to the pipe. If I do that, I need to use PVC with an outside diameter of 1.25 or 1.5 inches. Any suggestions on how to drill that big a hole through concrete without spending $30+ on a 3/4 inch masonry bit that isn't big enough anyway?

Old 09-13-05, 06:56 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
ScottWy, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Your friend is correct. Concrete rubbing against a gas line is not a good idea and usually against code. Your homeowners insurance would not pay if this was the cause of a fire. The cost now could save you lots more later. Check the rental places around you. Why buy what you can use and return?
One last question. Why are you using galvanized pipe for a gas line? The coating flakes off and clogs the burner orfices in time. Go with black pipe. Good luck.

Old 09-14-05, 09:14 PM
ScottWy
Visiting Guest
I am using galvanized pipe because about 20' of the run is on the outside of thehouse before I pop it into the crawl space. Can black pipe withstand the elements outside? Thank you for your reply!!

Old 09-15-05, 05:03 AM
Black pipe can be painted. It would still be better than flakes in the gas line. When I was in Ohio, galvanized was taboo as far as code for gas. Then in Florida I saw it all over the place.

Old 09-16-05, 10:28 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My old BBQ used small diameter copper line for the gas supply. Don't know if this is code or not but it worked fine for years and years. Held up to the elements (Michigan) and didn't clog the valves or burners. Hope this helps.

Old 09-16-05, 01:35 PM
Most codes allow copper once you are outside the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: