Chimney brick facing falling off

Old 09-14-05, 12:04 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Chimney brick facing falling off

My house was built around 1973. The chimney has a stylish brick chase, but within the past two years the fancy outer 1/4 inch of some of the bricks has cracked off leaving a base brick material showing. I have been told this happens with the decorative brick of that era, and that most home owners redo the chimney in stucco to cover up the problem. My questions are: were there ever any lawsuits to recover monies needed to redo the chimney; is stucco the best way to cover the problem or does stucco have it's own problems; how does the chimney need to be preped before stucco is applied;, and, what kind of cost am I looking at if I contract the work out? (Chase is about 14 feet high, 6 feet wide and 2 feet deep).

Old 09-14-05, 12:13 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Chimney brick facing falling off

Just a little information on the brick.

Often homeowners select the brick because it is "pretty" or cheap.

There are grades of clay brick. In many areas the svere weathering grade (SW) should be used. Most problems come from surface glazes or treatments of from soft, blended, antiqued appearing brick ("Chicago Commons" are one type). Also some of the very hard clay brick do not weather well.

Buyers should see what the brck is rated for according to ASTM standards.

Dick

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: