How to screed slab walkway next to house

Old 09-18-05, 12:42 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

A couple of times I have had to pour a narrow slab next to an existing structure. I had a wooden form on the outside of the walk but there was no refrence on the other side for the screed. I ended up just sort of winging it with the screed and checking my progress with a level on top of the screed. Is this the usual procedure?

I suppose for a larger/longer walkway (mine was very small) you could put a form next to the structure (held out an inch or so for easy removal) to use as a screed reference and when the cement sets up but before smoothing you could pull it out, fill the hole and smooth the entire slab?

Old 09-18-05, 03:34 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,232 Upvotes on 1,991 Posts
I usually snap a chalk line on the building. Just don't get messy or you will cover the line.

I have also used construction adhesive to glue expansion joint material to the building at the proper level.

Old 09-18-05, 03:56 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

You can temporarily attach a screed guide(1x?) to the existing wall above the control joint material. Then notch out the end of the 2x4 you use for a screed so you get the right elevation near the existing structure.

Dick

Old 09-18-05, 05:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Concretemasonrys way is the easiest, although you will have to fill a few holes when you are done.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: