Film on pavers

Old 09-26-05, 05:12 PM
Tish
Visiting Guest
Film on pavers

Help! I laid a field of concrete block pavers, sealed them with Thompsons Water seal and poured dry grout in the joints, and sprayed with water.
I still have a film that will not come off. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Tish

Old 09-26-05, 07:37 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Film on pavers

Just a guess - the film may have come from the dry grout. The natural process that occurs when water is added to cement in the formation of calcium salts that can be deposited on a surface. The Thompson's may have held this on the surface or prevented it from washing off (it is water soluable). The pavers could also contain the deposits, but they are not as fresh as the grout.

Fortunatedly, Thompsons doesn't last too long so the film should wear off.

I assume you applied Thompson's to get a desired appearance, since pavers do not need a coating for any other reason. If you want a coating, I would look at one of the coatings or sealers designed specifically for paver application. The supplier of the pavers could recommend a product (big boxes generally excluded from knowing what to with pavers).

Dick

Old 09-26-05, 10:49 PM
Tish
Visiting Guest
Film on pavers

Dick,
Thanks for your reply. I know the film is from the grout. I put Thompsons WS on to prevent the grout from adhering to the pavers. guess it didn't work. It seems like the grout has sucked into the pavers.
Tish

Old 09-26-05, 10:51 PM
Tish
Visiting Guest
Film on pavers

Dick,
I know the film is from the grout. I put Thompsons WS on to prevent the grout from adhering to the pavers. guess it didn't work. It seems like the grout has sucked into the pavers.
Tish

Old 09-27-05, 08:03 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Film on pavers

If they are decent pavers, it is unlikely the cement from the grout did not penetrate too well and it wear off, just as the Thompson's will.

Pavers have worked well for thousands of years. The dry grout is something new that is not needed with a good installation. Retailers like to push it for additional sales.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: