Stone Sealant

Old 09-28-05, 01:26 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stone Sealant

I'm restoring an older brick house (1880s) which has a stone foundation. Somewhere along the way, stucco was applied to the foundation. I've removed the stucco and am going to have the mortar repointed between the stones. What is the best sealant to use afterwards? I've been told a polyurethane sealer would do the job ... However, I am not seeing any mention of that on the Internet ... so, I thought I would run it by you all here. Thanks!

Last edited by SALONIAL; 09-28-05 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-28-05, 03:31 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Stone Sealant

Why do you think you have to seal it? It wasn't sealed 125 years ago and it lasted.

Dick

Old 09-28-05, 06:01 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sealant

Good point! Actually, the person doing the mortaring asked me to pick up the polyurathane so he could make it "all nice and shiney" after he was through mortaring. I'm not sure I want it "all nice and shiney" ... especially since I suspect that the sealant could do something nasty after it ages such as "yellow" like old scotch tape does. I'd assume a properly done mortaring job would be sufficient to seal the wall ...

Old 09-28-05, 06:51 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Stone Sealant

Once you start, you almost have to continue coating as the coating deteriorates.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: