Concrete Driveway Slab Leveling

Old 09-30-05, 04:21 PM
Ryton
Visiting Guest

Good day... Two of the slabs (7'X10') of my concrete driveway have shifted. Assuming the slabs are not reinforced, how risky would it be to use hydraulic jacks to lift one edge of each slab up to put sand under for leveling? I have considered mud-jacking but they want ~$200/hr (without warranty), which I'm resisting.

Last edited by Ryton; 09-30-05 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-30-05, 06:09 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Without reinforcement, I would guess they would crack.

Mudjacking has a good history of success. Try to get another price to check the current market.

Dick

Old 10-01-05, 11:41 AM
Ryton
Visiting Guest

Hi Dick... Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, there is only one contractor in our community that does it. If I cut the 7'X10's into 5'X7' do you think they will survive the lift?

Old 10-01-05, 12:35 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

You never know with concrete cracking. The existing slabs could have any kind of concrete in them.

Cutting, jacking up, putting in sand, compacting and leveling is a lot of work. Then you have to get the 4 slabs to match and drain the way you want. If they crack, you will eventually have to get rid of the concrete and pour a new slab. Each 5 x 7 slab represents almost 2000 to load and haul away.

I question how can get the sand in, compact it and get the slabs to match and drain. I assume you want them corrected because they do not align and do not drain in the direction you want.

If the mudjacker has a good reputation and is experienced, I would talk to him to see what kind of time estimate you can get. Even if there is a crack in the mudjacked slab, it is supported uniformly and can still perform adeqautely for a long time.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: