Flattening Concrete Slab

Old 10-01-05, 11:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Flattening Concrete Slab

Greetings from sunny central Florida! I've looked at some other "concrete over concrete" threads, but nothing that seemed to address my particular issue.

I have a lanai (for you non-Floridians, that's a covered porch enclosed on three sides and screened on the other) with a concrete slab floor. I want to tile the floor, but the slab is "wavy" in places - not flat. The difference between the high and low spots on the slab run to as much as 1/2" which is outside the tolerances for laying tile.

I thought about self-leveling compound, but this is a 350sf area and it's such pricey stuff.

Is there another concrete product that anyone's aware of that can be mixed thin enough to pour over the existing slab and screed flat? If so, any idea how long it would need to cure before I could tile over it?

I also thought about renting a cement grinder and trying to grind down the high areas, but there are several high spots and I'm worried I'll get myself into trouble with the heavy equipment and just make it worse. Any feedback on how difficult these are to use for this purpose?

Any feedback, ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-05, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Some make a resurfacing mix of portland cement, sand, polymers, and other additives to repair a surface. This can be applied somewhat thickly to level a surface as well. This may be an option.