Wood stove rock wall

Old 10-02-05, 06:25 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wood stove rock wall

I would like to make a rock wall behind my wood stove. I have access to a lot of different types of rocks where I live. I've searched the internet for info but have found nothing. The wood stove is brand new and has not been installed yet. Can anybody help me out.

Thanks, IHD.

Old 10-03-05, 06:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
Make sure you have a good solid surface to lay the stone on - there is a lot of weight in a stone wall

Old 10-03-05, 06:45 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Where I live, you need a footer under such a load.
My guess is you cna't find anything because its not a diy project. do it wrong and you endanger your whole family.

Old 10-03-05, 07:07 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wood stove rock wall

It is a DIY project.

My parents did the same thing that you are thinking of. They built a 6' high wall behind a Franklin stove in 1960 and it looks beautiful today.

They supposedly did it wrong with no support for the rock. Most of the rock was 3" to 6" AND they were slightly flattened. They laid the rock and tied it to the wall with a lot of wall ties. Now that I think about it, it isn't all that much more than some cultured stone that is laid with no wall ties. Both are actually hanging from the wall and are not a part of the structure. From a structural standpoint, a wood frame wall can easily take that additional load since it is far less than you get from dead loads and live loads in a structure.

There is a concrete veneer system (Nova Brick) that hangs on an exterior or interior wall and is approved by U.S. and Canadian codes for 2 stories. No footing is involved and it uses a plastic "starter strip" and not a steel angle at the base. It is not a masonry code item, but is an exterior veneer that hangs on a wall. The test show that the flexural and shear strength of the wall is greater than a plain wood wall.

You can build it to fit your preferences as long as you don't get carried away.

My mother did - When she was 70 she and her second husband hand split 6" to 12" field stones to build a "Swedish" or "Scandinavian" veneer for the front of the walk-out.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: