Rebar in Brick Retaining Wall

Old 10-06-05, 09:10 AM
ColJack
Visiting Guest

I am building a brick retaining wall two bricks thick and 35 inches high. How/where does the vertical rebar go? And I am using a poured concrete footer, how do I get the rebar into the footer?

Old 10-06-05, 11:38 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

You did not say where you are or what the other dimensions are.

Since it is only 2 brick (8") thick, the vertical rebar goes between the two layers of brick (in the center of the wall). The wall will crack and probably fall over eventually unless you have enough vertical rebar, some horizontal joint reinforcement, a properly designed concrete footing (width, thickness and depth) and the proper backfill material.

A rigid retaining wall is one of the most difficult structures to build. There are many things working against it (namely gravity, moisture and Mother Nature).

If you must have a brick for for architectural purposes, you must use a thicker wall in addition to the steel reinforcement. A more proctical solution for this type of wall is the use of Segmental Retaing Wall units (SRWs). Google for Allan Block, Anchor Wall Systems, Keystone or Versalok for some examples and a description of the construction methods. Concrete fottings are not permitted and steel reinforcement and mortar are not used. It is not necessary for the wall base to be below the frost line.

All are used and approved by most highway departments and municpalities. They are available in all states and most foreign countries.

A brick retaining wall is beautiful, but is not a DIY project for most people.

Good luck!!!

Dick

Old 10-06-05, 12:50 PM
ColJack
Visiting Guest

Thanks, Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: