Need some advice on resurfacing a large concrete patio

Old 10-11-05, 12:14 PM
Kheled
Visiting Guest
Need some advice on resurfacing a large concrete patio

Just need some advice on a large project that was given to me. I just moved in to a 150 year old 2-story farmhouse that is owned by my father-in-law. Some time in it's history it had a concrete patio added to it. Constructed of a cinder block base or footer about 18 inchers high supporting a concrete slab approx. 40 feet long by 8 feet wide. There is no way for me to get under it to see if there is any support pillars.
The problem is that fairly recently a semi trailer was backed into it or on it (not sure which) and cracked the slab. There are several cracks across the entire patio and several of them are completely through the slab. I have already mentioned to my F-i-L that tearing down and rebuilding would probaly be the best course of action but he doens't have the funds to do a project like that. What he had suggested was that I resurface with fiber-reinforced conrete. He wants me to sink anchors into the old surface, put done some wire mesh and suggested rebar if I had any then pour the 'crete. He then wants me to trowl a pitch into the surface so that over the 8 foot width there would be a 1/2 inch rise.
I have no problem with the suggestion that he had, resurface vs rebuild. He has done jobs like this before and says that it works and I tend to trust him as to know what he's talking about. My problem is that I have never handled a concrete job this big. I have no idea how to insure a pitch over the then entire length and width. Do I set up a jig on the side with 2x4s and run a scree down that? Do I pour in sections? I know what I need to do it and I know what I'm trying to acomplish...I just don't know or have the experience to know the techniques and details to get to my goal. Any help would be appreciated

Old 10-11-05, 01:45 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
40x8...? You would be better off tearing out and replacing. Trying to resurface in the manner you suggested is how I make my living..ie fixing and/or tearing out jobs like that. The cost to resurface the way you stated and pouring a new slab is about a wash....go with the new slab if the cracks are a big deal to you.

Good Luck
Chuck

Cost for a new slab that size should run about $2500-$3500 depending upon where you live etc. $2500 is about 8 bucks a sq foot and about the going rate +-.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: