Repairing Holes In My Stucco Wall...With Styrofoam!!??

Old 10-11-05, 05:29 PM
Vegas Owl
Visiting Guest

Greetings,

I have a couple of rather large holes in my exterior stucco wall made by a couple of neighborhood kids. The strange thing about these holes is that the exterior is covered with stucco, while the inside is filled with styrofoam!!??

The holes are located on what I guess is just trimming and I would like to repair them as they are located on the front part of my house facing the street for everyone to see .

Do you folks have any ideas or recommendations that I can use for me to fix this?
What do I use as a patch and how do I go about covering it up? Should I fill the hole or just cover it up and pray no one touches it again lol! (got two kids, ain't happening )

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Old 10-11-05, 06:31 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

If the is metal mesh and several layers of stucco under the face coat, you probably have traditional stucco over extruded polystyrene insulation. It is possible to repair this type of construction with some of the stucco patching materials readily available.

If not. you may have what is referred to as an EIFS wall (synthetic stucco over extruded polystyrene).

This should be professional patched with a similar stucco product. Because of the history of EIFS on wood frame (it is fine on concrete block), the repairs should be made correctly by a professional. I say this because of the nature of the stucco (critical mixing and application) and the negative success history of DIYers using the system. The problems with EIFS relate to trapping moisture, failure to breathe and possibly mold or rot.

Check to see which type of stucco you have. If in doubt, call a stucco contractor for a price.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: