Chimney Waterproofing

Old 10-15-05, 07:37 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Chimney Waterproofing

I have been getting quite a bit of wetness appearing at the base of my Chimney, both inside the Fireplace and at the Brrezeblock in the Basement. I have been told the Brick is in need of Waterproofing. I have a Lot of the Thompsons Multi waterproofing, which says it is for Brick, but have researched other products, which seem mostly for Proffesional use. Chimney Saver is one of those, but at nearly $300 a 5gln, . Am I just prolonging a problem using the Thompsons, or should I invest in the Pro Product.

Thanks
Martin

Old 10-15-05, 08:27 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Chimney Waterproofing

Before you try sealing the surface, which usually does not allow enough water in to show up, look for openings.

1. You should have a chiney cap. This prevents water from entering the cimney directly. If none, then install one.

2. Look at the joint at the top of the chimney between the chimney flue and the chimney itself. If uncauked , cracked, pulled away or old, remove and recaulk.

3. Look at the flashing between the roofing surface and the side of the chimney. This is the prime area of suspect if you have a cap. Often problems will show up after reroofing projects. Reflash or recaulk as necessary.

It is very difficult to get enough water through the chimney itself unless you have cracks or openings.

If you can't find an opening, then take a try at a waterproofing material. There may be better products that can be used. Do not apply a product that you have to remove before applying something else (most silicones are guilty of this).

Good luck!!!

Dick

Old 12-23-05, 08:02 AM
DWBRICK&CHIMNEY
Visiting Guest
AFTER YOU FIND WHERE YOUR LEAK IS COMING FROM ...USE THE PRO STUFF
BUT THE PRICE YOU MENTIONED SEEM WAY OUT OF LINE(Chimney Saver is one of those, but at nearly $300 a 5gln) SHOULD BE MORE LIKE $150.00 5GALS CONTACT a company called RMR 1-800-366-8677)AND ORDER IT MUCH CHEAPER

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: