Brick wall falling away from House

Old 10-21-05, 10:52 PM
Roland
Visiting Guest
Question Brick wall falling away from House

I live in split entry home .ther is red brick all across the bottom front about 4 1/2 ft up from the ground and a layer under the window bricks on end instead of sideways .A couple years ago the brick line under the window started to fall away from the wall . Behind it is plywood. I filled this ever widening crack with foam..Well that "crack" is now 6 inches awy from the house in a arc from each end of the window. The four foot section from the window to the corner of the house has now started to fall away from the house and about 2/3 up from the bottom has even started to drop so now there is a separation in the rows about 6 rows from the top. Obviosly, someone did not use enough ties to the wall and the iron support under the wall is not strong enough to hold it.The house is 26 yrs old. I am going to pry this part of the wall away and hope to clean brick, reinstall a good support system and re do this portion of the wall without pulling all of it away for the other 20 linear feet . Is this plausable or should I remove all bricks in an upward direction for this 4 ft section rather than trying to match as I re lay the bricks to end up at the same height ... How should one approach this problem ? What other problems can occur while trying to correct this ???

Last edited by Roland; 10-21-05 at 10:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-22-05, 10:37 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
sounds like what ties were there have corroded or failed in some way. To be honest, it's probably best to take the whole brick face down, clean, and re-lay. If you don't, the "patch" of brick you fix may be OK, but other areas may fail and you'll end up re-doing it anyway.

just my two cents.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: