Brick Mailbox Footer question

Old 10-24-05, 11:16 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

My mailbox was vandalized (3x's now) and now all that stands is the metal anchor post (about 12 inches) off the concrete curb.
Is it wise to build a brick mailbox right on top of the concrete curb which is about a 4 inch slab?

Or should i just saw off the remaining metal anchor and relocated my mailbox since i don't really want to dig up the concrete curb for a proper footing?

Old 10-24-05, 11:50 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

A massive brick base and covering would certainly make a casual vandal think about going elsewhere. Try to anchor it to the slab for added stability. Snow plows do a job on all mailboxes. - No snow, fewer problems (like hurricanes).

Your neighbors may not appreciate you sending the vandals over.

Dick

Old 10-24-05, 01:44 PM
Contact your township/city/whatever. A few around here have made it illegal to have huge brick/etc mailboxes since people get hurt when they crash into them.

Old 10-24-05, 04:31 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
Originally Posted by Hellrazor
Contact your township/city/whatever. A few around here have made it illegal to have huge brick/etc mailboxes since people get hurt when they crash into them.

I used to work in an area where everyone tried to out do there neighbor. Some mailboxes cost $5000 [not a typo] complete with fountains. That all changed when the mayors daughter hit one, totalling out the car. Shortly afterward an ordinance was passed allowing only break-away mailboxes.

Old 10-24-05, 06:40 PM

Just a note -

Often people forget that when they build a major enty feature (mailbox, gate), they often are getting away with building on property (public, right-of-way, easment) they do not own.

Dick

Old 10-25-05, 08:02 AM
F
Thanks for all the comments, however can anyone answer my original questions?

Old 10-25-05, 09:27 AM
cdacres
Visiting Guest
Don`t know where you live but if the ground freezes, it`s a bad idea to build on the curb.

Old 10-27-05, 11:59 AM
A
This guy has info on brick mailboxes. You can see from the 2 pictures that he made a footing inside the curb (go to brick mailbox video link)

the-flagstone-experts.com

Old 10-27-05, 07:59 PM
A
I was thinking about your question and I think your terminology is unclear. Where I live the curb is the part that juts out above the gutter. What you really mean is can you use the side walk slab for the footer.

Ideally what I would do (disregarding the fact that it may be illegal for the moment) is cut a square hole in the side walk and put a beefy footer in the hole and having a small gap between the sidewalk slab and the footer. You could argue that the city allowed a post to be put through the sidewalk so why not a footer?

Using the sidewalk slab as a footer might be OK if it's in good condition. Either way your defacing it.

Old 10-31-05, 03:13 PM
F
I talked to the post office (since they are in-charge of the location and type of mailbox we can use) and they ok'd the brick mailbox. I'll be putting it right on top of the sidewalk/curb area. That concrete slab is less than a year old and in very good condition.

Thanks for your comments.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: