Covering cinder block

Old 10-31-05, 11:35 AM
Teresa
Visiting Guest
Covering cinder block

We have an attached cinder block garage and the exterior has not been touched. I want to stucco/texture it & wanted to know what kind of prep and exterior coating would tolerate Wisconsin winters?

Old 10-31-05, 01:28 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Covering cinder block

Short of going through the time and cost of stucco, you could try to coat the wall with Thoroseal. It is a cement-based coating with the consistancy of pancake batter. It is available in gray and white (white may have to be ordered).

It is a waterproofing material that is applied in one or two coats, depending on how much you want to hide and what you want it to look like. One coat is OK for a basic utility coating.

To apply, you spray the wall with water from a tank sprayer (bug sprayer) to keep the wall damp or wet in advance of the coating. The water makes it easier to spread and get a good bond. One coat will cover and hide any texture and possibly hide mortar joints depending on the depth.

The second coat should have a latex bonding material (Acryl 60, Laticrete, etc.) mixed in. You can experiment with samples on a hidden area to find an appearance you are happy with. It is normally not a real thick, heavymixture (you could make it thicker) so the amount of texture could be limited.

It is very compatible with concrete, breathes and has been used for many years. It is also available in similar products for use on architectural concrete.

Dick

Old 10-31-05, 01:43 PM
Teresa
Visiting Guest
covering cinder block

Dick, Thank you sooooo much for replying so fast!!
Once I do the 2 coats can I then paint it to match the house color?

Old 10-31-05, 02:01 PM
Covering cinder block

I think you can paint the walls.

You said that you have "cinder block". Years ago, many block in the eastern U.S. were made from the cinders left from the old trains. Cinder block are not common in Wisconsin, but some were made a few years ago. You probably have concrete block. All block made in Wisconsin are either lightweight or normal weight concrete block. Cinder block may contain iron oxide particles (from the coal) that can rust. You will be able to easily see any if you have them. Thoroseal and most coatings will not cover the rust and it can bleed through.

Your best bet would be to buy a bag of Thoroseal and experiment with it. You can do it on the inside where no one would see it. It used it on my basement as a waterproofer and you had a hard time spotting the joints unless you were really looking for them.

Dick

Old 10-31-05, 08:35 PM
Teresa
Visiting Guest
They look like concrete blocks - no rust - but I assumed they were all called cinder blocks. Ooops!
You sound quite knowledgable...so is it safe to assume that I can paint after those coats?
thanks again

Old 11-01-05, 11:14 AM
Covering cinder block

Don't worry about cinder block - you will know if they are. Only common in the coal or RR areas. The term is an old term that was given to all concrete block in some areas.

You should be able to paint the wall. sonce you have acement-based product on a concrete block, a masonry paint will work. It can be tinted.

Play around with the Thoroseal to see how it looks. you may have to use it very thick to get the texture you want. The latex helps with bonding old to new.

Given that this is November, you will have few 50+ degree days to paint.

Dick

Old 11-01-05, 01:04 PM
Teresa
Visiting Guest
Again, thanks so much...If I get to it soon, I'll let ya know how it turns out.
One thing, can I get masonary paint at Home Depot/Menards?

Old 11-01-05, 01:23 PM
Covering cinder block

They all sell paint for masonry. The price just depends what quality you want.

Dick

Old 11-02-05, 05:01 PM
Teresa
Visiting Guest
You're the expert, what brand do you suggest? I want quality & I don't want to paint it every year!

Old 11-02-05, 07:40 PM
Covering cinder block

I am not the expert on paint.

From what I always hear, don't skimp on the quality of the paint. Since you are using your labor get a good brand and do not buy the cheapest line offered by that line. It will covere better and last longer.

Dick

Old 11-03-05, 03:47 PM
Teresa
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up cinder block

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me...

Last edited by Teresa; 11-03-05 at 03:51 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: