matching 40 yr old mortar

Old 11-05-05, 12:00 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

i have a 40 yr old brick house and the front steps have pulled from the house and in doing so pulled the brick with it so about 5 feet long and 3 feet high of brick have to be removed and reinstalled what is the best way to match the mortar. mike

Old 11-05-05, 06:25 AM
The Tuckpointer
Visiting Guest
The best way to match mortar is to put on samples, go to your local brickyard and get different mortar colors, take a sample of your old mortar with you, they can help you with the choice of color. Install different samples on your brickwork, let it sit overnite to dry, then wash it down with a 7 to 1 mixture of water to muriatic acid. Some experts will tell you not to wash it down, What they dont realize is that the old mortar has been aged, Washing the mortar will age the mortar and will match the existing color. I have done this for over twenty years and it is the only true way to match mortar color exactly.

Old 11-05-05, 03:00 PM
M

what are some of the brands of color mortar and does this come in a bag like quickset masonary mix.

Old 11-06-05, 03:35 PM
The Tuckpointer
Visiting Guest
There are a handful of color manufacturers, I live in IL, so most of the coloring I use is SGS coloring out of Springfield, IL. As far as having premixed mortar with coloring mixed with it, Spec-Mix does it, but you are talking about huge quantites, they bring this stuff in 3000 pound bags to the jobsite and it gets put into a huge hopper. Your best bet is to go to local brickyard and bring old mortar sample, they can help you, coloring comes in small 4 pound bags. I hope this helps.

Old 11-06-05, 04:26 PM
M

tuckpointer thank you for the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: