sealing Eldorado manufactured stone

Old 11-05-05, 10:29 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

I am installing manufactured stone by Eldorado Stone (http://www.eldoradostone.com/flashsite/ )
When I am done installing it I’d like to seal it, because it seems to be very porous and I don’t want to get much dirt and fluorescence in the stone. I have Wet Look “Glaze N’ Seal “ lacquer that I used on other project and I don’t like the way it looks – too wet.
I’d like something that penetrates the “stone” but not apparent on the surface. Someone told me it comes in orange can….. I just don’t know what is it. Anyone knows what I need?

Thanks,

Old 11-05-05, 10:44 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would call Eldorado and ask their recommendations. That stuff is just concrete though, so I personally would go with a penetrating (silane/siloxane) concrete sealer. Not a film forming sealer such as you will find at Menard's, Lowe's, HD, etc., as these are maintenance products and will change the outer appearance of the stone. A true penetrating sealer seals by chemical reaction within the pores of the concrete and does not leave any type of gloss on the concrete. You would probably have to get it at a contractor's supply. You may also want to call some stone centers and ask their recommendations as well.

Pecos

Old 11-05-05, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Be carefull when you apply silicone based coatings/sealers. If they do not work, you may be precluded from applying any other until the silicone-based material has aged or deteriorated (up to 7 years).

The stone is porous because it is lightweight and cellular. You don't get "fluoresence" in the stone. Effloresence comes out of masonry or concrete as moisture migrates to the surface.

Why do you think you have to apply a sealer to the stone anyway? The stone is a veneer and not your primary weather shield. Pecos is right - contact Eldorado Stone for recommendations. If you coat something that was not intended to be coated, you could be voiding any and all guarantes.

dick

Old 11-06-05, 02:47 PM
N
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
thanks

Thanks a lot guys! I wanted to coat the whole wall because some of the stones I got already had some efflorescence and didn't want them all to go whitish.... Plus I was hoping it would retain the color better if it's protected, but you're right it's better to ask the manufacturer, which I am going to do tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: