Laying Block on an Unlevel Footing

Old 11-06-05, 10:14 AM
tractorz260
Visiting Guest
Question Laying Block on an Unlevel Footing

I am attempting to build a permanent block foundation under my manufactured home. Unfortunately, my footing is not level. One corner block is 6 inches higher than my other corner block. Everything that I have read says to build your lead corners, place mason's line in between them and fill in the course between the corners. We attempted a dry run for the first course, and it gave us a sloping, unlevel course of block. What would be the easiest, most effecient way to correct this problem?

Any advice or suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Old 11-06-05, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Laying Block on an Unlevel Footing

Use the highest point of your ffooting as the beginning or base. At that point you will have a 3/8" mortar joint plus 7-5/8" block height. I assume you are using modular height block (7-5/8").

This is the height for the top of your first course. Use a level or what ever means you have to set the height of the other corners. Build the corners at the appropriate distances away at that elevation. You will have to use a combination of thick mortar joints and different masonry units to establish the correct elevation. This will give you all four corners at the correct location and elevation (level).

In addition to the thick mortar joints, there are a number of other concrete masonry units that can be used to minimize the number and amount of thick joints. I assume you are using 8" nominal thickness block. Depending on the local supplier, there are many solid or hollow units than can be used in combination. Some hollow block are 3-5/8" high and 5-5/8" high. solid units can be turned to fit your needs. These are concrete brick, 1" thick, 1-5/8" thick, 3-5/8" thick and others depending on the manufacturer. Solids, like brick, can be turned to get ither thicknesses such as 2-1/4".

Once you get the first couse ot layer level, then it is just a matter of filling between the leads or corners.

Normally a concrete contractor gets close enough to just require thick mortar joits, but occassionally the footing can be way off for one reason or another.

Whatever you do, do not try to lay block to to follow the footing. Correct the elevations, then lay the block horizontally using a level.

If you are building a foundation to set a new home on, make sure the wall is built level and the top is within the tolerences required by the home manufacturer. Failure to do this can void any guarantees on the home in the future. I have seen the manufacturers or their agents use this as a reasonto walk away from future problems, adjustments and repairs.

Good luck!!

Dick

Old 12-23-05, 08:34 AM
DWBRICK&CHIMNEY
Visiting Guest
I can't agree more on your answer ..Concretemasonry

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: