Concrete Deck

Old 11-13-05, 10:01 AM
donw
Visiting Guest
Concrete Deck

we live in syracuse ny and are looking to add a deck to our new home. my mother, who lives in Erie, PA, has a poured concrete deck instead of the traditional pressure-treated or composite materials.
The deck rails are stained presuure treated, but the deck itself is concrete. It is raised so that there are 3 steps to get to ground level.
Here in Syracuse, I have never seem a deck made of concrete. It seems to me that the durabilty is excellent, maintenance is virtually zero, and they look good.
What am I missing?? Are there disadvantages that I don't realize?? I haven't had one quoted, but I'm not thinking it would much more expensive than a "conventional" wood deck.
Any advice or suggestions?
Thanks,
Don

Old 11-13-05, 12:07 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Concrete Deck

Since Americans build homes from wood, it is natural that decks are made from wood also.

In most other advanced countries, wood is not the most common building material, so wood decks are not as common. People that are accostomed to rigid construction are not comfortable with the springy floors associated with wood construction.

You are right about some of the desireablity and appearance factors. A concrete deck can be thinner than a 10" - 12" thick deck structure and the smooth bottom is also better looking than the bootom of a wood deck. The bottom of a concrete deck can be painted for increase light into lower level rooms. Water dripping through the cracks of a wood deck is eliminated.

You do not support a concrete deck with a temporary material like wood, so the carpenter and DIYer is not comfortable with concrete. Connecting a concrete deck to a non-rigid structure like a wood home also presents problems.

Concrete will cost more intially, but will obviously last longer with lower maintenance costs. With concrete, you will miss the fun of figuring how, when and what to treat to put on the deck ever couple of years.

It is just a matter of what you will accept and what you are accustomed to.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: