clay brick wall

Old 11-14-05, 07:42 PM
Mike C.
Visiting Guest
clay brick wall

I'm new to brick but I have to build a clearance reduction wall for my coal stove. I selected clay brick and have found that the mortar dries up so fast that it does not adhere to the brick. Can someone give me some advice please?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-05, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
clay brick wall

What type of mortar are you using? - Is it a pre-proportioned mix with sand where you just add water. Does the mortar fall off before you can turn the brick and lay it or does the wall just not get stable soon enough?

Some clay brick are too hard (low absorption) and are hard to lay. The descriptive term would be "floating"

When you build with brick, you have be patient. The mortar takes time to cure since it is not like liquid nails.

Dick

Old 11-18-05, 07:47 PM
M
too dry

The bricks need to be wet before they are laid. Sounds like they are sucking all the water out of the mortar. Soft bricks will usually do that as hard bricks will not. Hope you use the right mortar.

Old 10-15-06, 01:17 PM
M
Dry Bricks

Originally Posted by Mike C.
I'm new to brick but I have to build a clearance reduction wall for my coal stove. I selected clay brick and have found that the mortar dries up so fast that it does not adhere to the brick. Can someone give me some advice please?
Wet the bricks.