Broken driveway - repair or replace

Old 11-21-05, 01:38 PM
D
dd7
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Broken driveway - repair or replace

Hello - Long story short, my driveway was poured about 6 years ago. Expansion joints were cut or placed about every 8 feet. A week ago a heavy truck drove along the edge of my driveway causing the concrete to crack at the corners of several of the expansion joints. The owner of the truck (a roll-off dumpster company) has suggested that the broken sections can be repaired by cutting out the triangular section (corner) that broke and pouring a triangular replacement patch. I disagree and have asked that each section that contains a cracked corner be completely torn out and re-poured. The broken triangles measure about 30" x 30" x 36". It seems to me that triangular repairs will never be as strong as the unbroken driveway and will eventually separate (sooner rather than later). I have 2 questions for you experts:

1. Will his recommendation work, and return my driveway to as good as new?

2. I live in central Iowa where temps are now falling below freezing overnight and hovering in the upper thirties to mid forties during the day. Is it too late in the season to pour a new driveway? Should I wait until Spring for best results?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions you can provide as to how to deal with this guy.

Dave

Old 11-21-05, 02:54 PM
P
As to your comment about it being fixed as good as new: No, a monolithic slab is stronger than one that was patched. However, it could be patched so as to be almost as good as new. Rebar dowels would have to be drilled into the two different sections, and a rebar grid tied in between them. This would tie everything together and minimize the potential for any differential settling between the new and old slabs.
One problem I see is that the color of the new concrete will not match the old, but this would be the case unless the entire driveway was replaced anyway.
If you cut out the same size triangle at every joint on both sides of the driveway, then poured them back with say, colored concrete or exposed aggregate, it would look intentional instead of like a patch.
As to the weather issue: I live in Indiana, a very similar climate. If it was mine I'd wait until Spring to fix it, unless it is actually making the driveway unusable. I say this because new concrete is especially vulnerable to any de-icing salts, even those dripping off your car after pulling into your driveway from dirty city streets. Plus, waiting till Spring will give you some extra time to consider your options. By the way, who is paying for the fix, you or the dumpster guy?

Pecos

Old 11-22-05, 07:28 AM
D
dd7
Thanks Pecos

I think I will press for the replacement of each 8 x 8 section that has been broken. As for who will pay for it, the owner has contacted me and said that the driver felt terrible and that he "wants to make it right". He has stopped short of coming right out and saying he will pay, but he has said that he has a concrete guy on staff who can do it. The sections where the truck stayed on the driveway did not crack. I think if I had to go to small claims I would have a very good case. The day this happened I had a couple of guys outside replacing my front steps (with concrete). They actually heard the driveway crack and called me at work to tell me - and to make it clear that they hadn't done it. I am going to have him put his promise to replace it in writing if I have to wait until spring. Thanks, Pecos.
Dave

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: