Concrete slab for laundry

Old 11-28-05, 08:30 PM
jonathanr
Visiting Guest
Red face Concrete slab for laundry

Hi,

I need to create a concrete slab upon which a washing machine will be situated. The dimensions of the slab are 1200mm by 650mm.

Fortunately the area that this is being positioned was previously used to support a brick chimney, the chimney has been removed but the "footings", that the chimney was part of will provide the walls that the slab will lie across. So the layout is as follows: There are 3 walls, left, right and back walls, I plan to lay a layer of damp course along the tops of this before I create the form for the slab. The area under the slab will be hollow.

The questions I have are as follows.

1) How thick should the slab be?
2) What thickness of reinforcing should be used?
3) Should there be 1 or 2 layers of reinforcing required?

I appreciate it if anyone could help me in this. I am resident in Australia and as such the names of specific products may not be available here.

Thanks,

jonathanr

Old 12-02-05, 02:33 PM
endeavour
Visiting Guest
I dont quite follow you. at what level is the the concrete slab you propose to conctruct. it sounds like its not ground floor but perhaps 1st floor. I would construct a insitu slab 100mm thick, one peice of reinforcement should do but you need to set this into the slab about 25 up from the bottom. If its ground floor just a 100mm slab inside the 3 walls should be fine. Its only a washing machine and what is the problem with using wood?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: