Caulking The Chimney?

Old 11-29-05, 06:57 AM
sjazz23
Visiting Guest
Caulking The Chimney?

Mornin'.

I have a 2 year-old oversized ranch in MA. In the family room, there is a cathedral ceiling, with a fireplace that is exposed from the floor to @ 3/4 of the way up.

On either side, you can feel a cold draft when the chilly weather (like now) arrives. On the right side, you can actually see daylight if you tilt your head at the correct angle,s tand on your head, etc.

My question is this....Because the easiest route would be to get it from tehe inside, Can I use some sort of interior caulking around the fireplace to stop these drafts?
If so, any suggestions as to what brand?

Thanks.

Old 11-29-05, 09:39 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Caulking The Chimney?

Your first priority should be to caulk the outside of the chimney to stop all the elements like light, cold AND water. After that you can caulk the interior.

If your cracks is wide (over 1/8"), put a backer rod (closed cell flexible foam rod) in about 1/4" below the wall surface before you caulk. You will use less caulk and be able to force the caulk in and make it stick to the sides.

The backer rod is available at most building ceneters.

Dick

Old 11-29-05, 02:29 PM
The Tuckpointer
Visiting Guest
Sonneborn NP1 would be a good caulk for that. Sika, Tremco also make excellent caulking.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: