cement board for hearth thickness

Old 12-07-05, 09:23 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am currently installing my hearth for a zero clearance fireplace. The manufacture indicates that the hearth be a minimum of 12 inches deep and made of a non-combustible material. In keeping with their instructions I will be tiling my hearth as well as the surround. They do not however instruct me as to the thickness for the non-combustible hearth. I have a 2x4 platform and plan on covering this with 1/4" cement board then applying a 3/8" thick tile on top, is this going to adequate or should I double the thickness and use 1/2" cement board?
Jeff

Old 12-07-05, 10:06 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Do the instructions say the surface has to be non-combustible or the does the hearth itself have to be non-combustible?

It seems like a piece of non-combustible sheet aluminum over wood or any other combustible material would not be adequate. You are dealing with the possibility of burning material (800 -1500 degrees) sitting on top of a combustible (450 degrees flash point) hearth and not something as easy to achieve as a fire wall between house and garage that is intended to delay and not stop a fire.

You may want to check with the local codes also.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: