Concrete Pad for shed 12'X10'

Old 12-09-05, 11:17 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Concrete Pad for shed 12'X10'

Can anyone tell me how to form up a concrete pad in a yard w/St Augustine grass. Know nothing about concrete etc concrete company said they would discount price if I fabricated form myself. Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated!

Old 12-09-05, 04:39 PM
kirk28
Visiting Guest
shed slab

The easiest way is to build the forms where you want the slab first. Use 2x4 or 2x6 and make your 10x12 frame. Then set it exactly where you want it and drive wood or steel steaks into the ground against the outside of the frame on one side and nail them to the frame. Then square up the frame by measuring from one corner across to the opposite corner and make sure both diagonals are the same. Then drive steaks around the rest of the frame, 4-5 steaks per side. The next step is digging up the grass inside the frame. Dig deep enough to allow for at least 2" of granular fill (pea gravel or sand) and 4" of concrete, 5-6" around the outer edge. How deep you dig depends on what height you want your slab (flush with the yard or a few inches above). Then level out your frame and nail to all the steaks. It's just a shed so your biggest concern is making it square and level. Don't worry about rebar or wire mesh, it's just overkill. As far as the concrete goes, 10x12 with an average depth of 5", you need to order 2 1/4 yards to make sure you have enough.

Old 12-10-05, 07:47 AM
Thanks kirk28

Thanks kirk28 your response was very helpful I appreciate it very much!

Old 12-10-05, 07:53 AM
at least 2" of granular fill

This slab is in Florida and the soil is sandy is it still necessary to use at least 2" of granular fill?

Old 12-10-05, 01:05 PM
kirk28
Visiting Guest
shed

If the soil is already sandy then that will work just fine. Sounds like you don't have to worry about the ground freezing and lifting. Wish we didn't have to worry about that up here. Just make the slab a few inches deeper around the edges. One more thing, use a concrete mix with stone instead of gravel. It holds together better.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: