Light Masonary Cement - sand:mix ratio?

Old 12-18-05, 05:59 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

A contractor left a pile of sand and an extra bag of "Keystone light masonary cement" at my house, and I want to use it for simple patchwork in my unfinished basement.

Is there a ratio of sand to mix that you would recommend? Any other tips?

Thanks very much for your time, and happy holidays!

Old 12-18-05, 07:43 PM

I am not familiar with the brand of product you have, but if it is a masonry cement, it would not be suitable for patching unless you are patching masonry joints and not concrete. To make mortar for patching mortar joints, you would follow the proportions suggested on the bag.

Materials are added to regular portland cement to make masonry cement, that is used to lay brick and block.

Considering the low cost of cement, you would be better off buying a bag for the price of 2 or 3 gallons of gas and use the right material for pouring or patching concrete. You will then getting the most out of your DIY efforts.

If you are attempting to patch cracks and stop leaks in concrete or masonry basements, you should use a hydraulic cement.

Dick

Old 12-22-05, 04:56 AM
badger0169
Visiting Guest
mix ratio for masonry cement

to answer your question the mix ratio for sand to cement depends on a few things. the first is how wet or dry the sand is. that can effect the amount of sand you will use to get the cement to the desired consitency.and another thing that can affect the mix ratio is how much are you mixing. but if you are mixing the entire bag of cement you can use a general rule of thumb that it will take aproxamatly 17 to 25 shovels full of sand. if the sand is wet then start with 17 shovels and adjust from there to get the consistancy you want but remember you also have to take into account the amount of water you put in your mix. and as the last message said if you are patching concrete then masonry cement would not be a good choice. but if you are patching a masonry wall (brick,stone, or block) then that is what you want to use. but for concrete you can go your local hardware store and they will suitable material for patching concrete.

Old 01-09-06, 11:47 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Thanks for your responses.

A contractor left that bag of light masonry cement and about twice the volume of sand in my basement, and I was trying to find a way to use it instead of throwing it away. Unfortunately there are no mixing instructions that I can find on the bag, which is why I went to the DIY forum.

There are a few areas of non-weightbearing brick walls in my basement that need patching, and I may try to use it there. Thanks again for your suggestions!

Old 01-09-06, 12:19 PM

If you want to mix mortar for patching mortar joints then the usual proportions are 1 part by volume of masonry cement to 2 1/4 to 3 parts sand. Add water to get the consistancy you desire.

You may want to look at a site for that cement for their specific recommendations. I am surprised that the bag did not say what type of cement it is or what the range of proportions are.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: