Brick Mortar color change

Old 12-18-05, 06:13 PM
vizagbee
Visiting Guest
Question Brick Mortar color change

Hi all,

I need your help in changing brick mortar color.
My house has 3-side brick and i would like to change the brick mortar color as its very dark and almost close to the brick color. It is not looking nice so i m thinking to change it to a lighter colour. Could any of you please give me some guide-lines on how to do this?

Thanks for your help

Old 12-18-05, 06:36 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Brick Mortar color change

Bad news -

You probably will not be able to change the color of your mortar appreciably. Good contractors and manufacturers of mortar use iron oxide pigments for coloring the mortar. These materials are very strong pigments are are permanent including resistance to ultra-violet rays. When a mason gets a good pigment on his hands for any length of time, it just has to wear off. The pigments are mixed through-out the mortar so any abrasion will have little effect.

Some of the lower quality pigments like carbon (not actually a true pigment) are small particles that can be erroded from the surface. The extent of this is not appreciable.

Bleach and acids will have little effect and can actually damage the mortar rather than bleach it.

It may be possible that you have mortar with some other type of pigment, but it would be extremely rare since few are permitted and the cost of iron oxide is quite low.

I hope someone can chime in with a new discovery for you.

Dick

Old 12-18-05, 06:48 PM
vizagbee
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your response. Its really informative. I really appriciate it. Although i m not quite hopeful for the solution to my problem i will wait for someone else to give me some good news...

Old 12-22-05, 04:06 AM
badger0169
Visiting Guest
changing mortar color

it sounds like the mortar probably had dye mixed into it when it was made. and the color may fade some over time but not much. but if the mortar used was standard masonry(not dyed) then over time it will turn almost a white color.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: