How to make curved form?

Old 12-28-05, 08:04 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to make curved form?

I am building a concrete driveway that connects my parcel to paved state highway. According to State DOT drawing, the driveway must have 25' radius curvature on one side and 15' on the other. How do I make curved concrete forms? Other specifics are 3000 lbs, category 1 (what does this mean?) 6" pad.

Another question. What does WWF 6X6 - W1.4XW1.4 mean? It looks like 6 inch grid welded wire mesh. But I have no clue about W1.4XW1.4. Thanks.

Old 12-28-05, 08:37 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Bricks, Masonry & Concrete

purt -

For the forming, you can buy "bender board" at most builders supply stores or possibly from you concrete supplier. If you are in a bind, you can use heavy masonite and stake it well. Whatever you use, stake it well because wet concrete is heavy and can exert more lateral force on the form than you would think.

Regarding the concrete -

The 3000 refers to the design compressive strength at 28 days (3000 psi). Often conreactors use higher strengths since the extra material cost is minimal.
The category 1 probably refers to a state specification. Tell your ready-mix supplier and he will get you the right strength that meets state specifications for aggregate type and admixtures.
The 6" pad refers to the slab thickness. Often the connection is on public property or the state wants a thicker slab because of the possibility of heavy equipment working on the road or turning around.

Regarding the reinforcement -
The WWF 6 x 6 refers to welded wire fabric 6" on center. We used to refer to this mesh as 6-6-10-10 or 10 gage(?) at 6" on center in the old days. The W1.4X1.4 probably refers the wire size. - Your ready-mix supplier may sell the right wire or tell you where to get it.

Do not just lay the wire mesh on the ground. Support it periodically (pieces of concrete or brick) so you get good embedment and coverage of concrete on the wire.

Just make sure you have enough help when you pour. Nothing is worse that not having enough hands when you are pouring and doing the finishing.

Good luck!

Dick

Old 12-28-05, 09:20 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I got all my questions answered in one shot!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: